Friday, May 23, 2008

Green-Up

Some days are memorable for the intangible beauty held in a moment. Today it was with Kyle on the Angel Rocks trail, looking out at the effervescence of green that is spring.

Below is one of my favorite poems



On the Nature of Love

The night is black and the forest has no end;

a million people thread it in a million ways.

We have trysts to keep in the darkness, but where

or with whom -- of that we are unaware.

But we have this faith -- that a lifetime's bliss

will appear any minute, with a smile upon its lips.

Scents, touches, sounds, snatches of songs

brush us, pass us, give us delightful shocks.

Then peradventure there's a flash of lightning:

whomever I see that instant I fall in love with.

I call that person and cry: 'This life is blest!

For your sake such miles have I traversed!'

All those others who came close and moved off

in the darkness -- I don't know if they exist or not.


-- Rabrindranath Tagore


No comments: