Monday, March 12, 2007

Sivuqaq

Back to St. Lawrence Island in the Bering Sea. The ice is thin this year. We are here to talk with hunters about the upcoming season and the health project I'm trying to start as a collaboration between hunters, the Eskimo Walrus Commission, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the University.

When I think of remote communities, I think of pictures like this of Savoonga; at the edge of the sea ice, America, and of most of what is familiar



Gambell had icy cold windchill as the wind came in off the ice. The -45 degree temperatures had us walking backwards most of the 400 m into town to avoid frostbite. I made the rookie mistake of packing my windpants and not wearing them...that wont happen again! This is a picture of us leaving Gambell in the early morning sun as the wind blows the ice around town in front of Sivuqaq mountain.



For all the cold and wind, it was the kids that again stole my heart. Here's Vera's nephew...they call him "Little Buddha"

No comments: